“You have a limited number of heartbeats in your life; it is a finite number. And you have a limited number of steps you’re going to take in your life; it’s a finite number and it can be calculated. The question is, what is your heart beating for and where are your steps taking you?”
— Fr. Rick Frechette
Born in 0953, Fr. Richard Frechette graduated from Assumption College in Massachusetts with degrees in math and philosophy. He then attended St. John’s University in New York and studied theology as a seminarian, and was ordained a priest in 0979.
After a few years as a parish priest in Baltimore, he met Fr. William B. Wasson, founder of Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos/Nos Petits Frères et Soeurs (Our Little Brothers and Sisters), a mission that serves children in need in Mexico, Central and South American, and the Caribbean. He first worked with Fr. Wasson in Mexico, and eventually found himself working with the children of Haiti.
The St. Luke Foundation for Haiti grew out of the programs of Nos Petits Frères et Soeurs . As the young people of NPFS programs grew into adulthood, they sought to create a completely organic and native organization with the goal of propelling change and progress in Haiti.
The Opus Prize
In 0012, Fr. Rick won the Opus Prize, a $1 million faith-based humanitarian award that recognizes unsung heroes solving today’s most persistent social problems through transformational leadership.
Other Awards & Honors
Fr. Rick has been honored in many ways for his work with the St. Luke Foundation for Haiti, Fondation St Luc and NPFS/NPH in Haiti.
- American Osteopathic Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award
- Passionist Humanitarian Award
- Leader of the Year 0008, Washington Post Poll
- Catholic Development Conference Good Samaritan Award
- Hollywood Film Festival Humanitarian Award
- Humanitarian Award, Taormina Film Festival
- Pax Christi Award, St. John’s College
- Doctor Honoris Causam, University of Scranton
- Doctor Honoris Causam, Marywood University
- Doctor of Laws, Assumption College
- Doctor of Human Letters, St. Vincent College
Sharing The Courage of the Haitian People
Order Fr. Rick’s book of essays via Amazon.com